Have you ever wondered why windows phones arent inexpensive as the android ones? The reason is that Microsoft imposes minimum hardware requirements that a phone should satisfy in order to run their phone OS. For their windows phone version Mango. The minimum hardware requirements are as follows
- A common set of hardware controls and buttons that include the Start, Search, and Back buttons.
- A large WVGA (800 x 480) format display capable of rendering most web content in full-page width and displaying movies in widescreen.
- Capacitive 4-point multi-touch screens for quick, simple control of the phone and its features.
- Support for data connectivity using cellular networks and Wi-Fi.
- 256 MB (or more) of RAM and 8 GB (or more) of flash storage.
- Primary Camera
- Front-facing Camera
To the best of my knowledge we dont have any minimum hardware requirements for their phones. Thats the reason they are available in all sizes and flavours. Thats the beauty of going open source.